This dish is a simply favourite for a healthy, low-carb meal that you can make quickly. This recipe will create 6 serves with an option to add strips of chicken for more protein.
HOME MADE BASIL PESTO
Blend the following ingredients together in a food processor until desired consistency.
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated reduced fat Romano or Parmesan cheese (can use vegan cheese alternate)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (can sub chopped walnuts)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1-2 teaspoons)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
6 large zucchinis
1/2 cup (130g) basil pesto
- 1 cup of diced cherry tomatoes
- 500g Chicken breast (optional)
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
finely grated parmesan cheese to garnish
Basil leaves, to serve
Step 1. Cut the zucchini into long thin ribbons (a mandoline or spiralizer is ideal), then use a sharp knife to cut each ribbon into thin strips. Alternatively just use a peeler to create thin strips. Place zucchini in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1 teaspoon of sea salt. Allow to drain for 30 minutes, then rinse well and pat dry with paper towel.
Step 2. Dry fry strips of chicken breast in pan and heat tomatoes.
Step 3. Toss zucchini with pesto, chicken, lemon zest, alittle oil and pine nuts, then season. Pile onto plates and sprinkle with the parmesan, tomatoes and drizzle with a little extra oil. Garnish with a few basil leaves and serve.